Recommendation for simple logger on Windows?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Jan 7 23:34:02 GMT 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 15:12, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 Jan 2011, at 17:52, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 04:02, Richard Huxton <dev at archonet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd normally use log4perl but that's overkill for this case - I'm installing
>>> Strawberry Perl for one small app. Anyone have any strong feelings between
>>> the various Simple(r|st) / Tiny options on CPAN?
>>
>> My very strong preference is to use syslog for log output, but that is
>> tied to the operational platforms and other log management tools.
>> When I don't, Log::Any is a great choice, since it allows you to plug
>> in multiple log back-ends, and is pleasantly trivial to work with.
>
> While syslog ought to be the One True Way, I'm sure the hardcore sysadmins
> have war stories about scalability and such.

Hence "tied to operational platforms" and all.  The abstraction of
Log::Any makes it easier to write your code without worrying about the
logging back-end your hardcore sysadmin tells you to use, and to
configure that without worrying what the author needed.

Regards,
    Daniel
--
✉ Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>