iPhone Barcode Readers

Dominic Thoreau dominic at thoreau-online.net
Tue Mar 1 10:34:24 GMT 2011

On 1 March 2011 09:49, Dave Cross <dave at dave.org.uk> wrote:

> Need some advice on iPhone Barcode reading apps - so I turn to london.pm, my
> favourite group of iGeeks.
>
> My wife is a teacher and they're about to start a stocktake of all of the
> books in the English department. Rather than count them all, she wondered if
> there was an iPhone app that could help them.

My experience with iphone apps and barcode readers suggests that if
you're going to be scanning a large number of barcodes, get a
dedicated device.

On a side note - I've got a moderate library, of books, DVDs and CDs,
and feel the need for some library management, not least so I can tell
where individual items actually are.

But I'm also a coder, and I'd like to have the results available to me
on multiple systems (ie it needs to sync to the cloud), which nothing
out there quite seems to do. I'm willing to at least think about
writing this myself, but

Are there any public APIs out there that can take barcodes / ISBN
numbers and resolve them to products, bearing in mind some things I
have would have been released in non UK/US/EU markets and thus may be
harder to identify....

Dominic
--
Nonnullus unus commodo reddo is mihi.
ABC*D1EFGHIJK2.LMNO3*4PQRST*ITUBE-STANDARD-ANTI-BULLSHEIT-EMAIL*U.56X