SystemTap hooks in Perl

Toby Wintermute tjc at wintrmute.net
Tue Mar 8 05:23:04 GMT 2011

Hey all,
I've been playing around with Perl's SystemTap integration (in core
since 5.12.0), but I've been struggling to find any documentation on
it.
I've deduced enough to get info on subroutine entry/exit, but wondered
what else was out there?

Also - I wondered if it was possible to create user-defined points --
I gather it's possible for the DTrace implementation (see
http://search.cpan.org/~chrisa/Devel-DTrace-Provider-0.02/lib/Devel/DTrace/Provider.pm)
but that code seems to be too tightly bound to DTrace to work with
SystemTap.

Cheers,
Toby
PS. Have posted up my notes on getting it going under Ubuntu at:
http://blog.dryft.net/2011/03/profiling-perl-with-systemtap-on-linux.html

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer