Someone needs to take jwz aside...

Pedro Figueiredo me at pedrofigueiredo.org
Wed Apr 27 13:28:14 BST 2011

On 27 Apr 2011, at 13:02, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> The issues seem to be dependency management and code reuse.
>
> How is Java solving these in ways that Perl is failing at?
>
> It's not automating the (to some degree necessary) bureaucratic
> permission-gaining exercises. So what is it doing differently?
>

>From my point of view, when we decide to update a dependency, run the tests, get Ops approval, have run it on a few live servers, etc (the whole bureaucratic process), all I have to do is update or add the dependency information in the POM file:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>mysql</groupId>
      <artifactId>mysql-connector-java</artifactId>
      <version>5.1.13</version>
      <scope>compile</scope>
    </dependency>

I would either add this block, if it's a new dependency, or change the version number. Then I would run 'mvn deploy' and go have a coffee.

Ops aren't even involved in this other than to deploy the new package (a single file) to live and having given their amen to the results of the previous testing.

Cheers,

Pedro