ActiveMQ (was Re: Devel::Cover with Moose?)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue May 24 11:34:24 BST 2011

On 24 May 2011, at 06:18, Toby Wintermute wrote:
> On 23 May 2011 21:07, Peter Edwards <peter at dragonstaff.co.uk> wrote:
>> Back to fighting with ActiveMQ. Feh.
> By the way.. how are you finding ActiveMQ, especially when interacting
> with it from Perl?

AFAICS, it seems to work best through the STOMP support. Net::Stomp is a bit funky, but I've wrapped it into something that doesn't have a multi-stage setup process and thus can be glued into Catalyst with Catalyst::Model::Adaptor. It sprouted serialisation and deserialisation of messages and tracing (set STOMP_TRACE in the environment to have the messages dumped). At some point I should tidy up the tests and docs and shove it on CPAN. Any idea what name I should give it? (Net::Stomp::Simple? It uses Moose so it's not terribly ::Lite.)

> I've been recommended to use it for a project at work, but I don't
> think the recommender has actually used it. Curious to know how it
> works in the real world.

Being software, it is of course hateful, but I've found it to be the least-worst of all of the message-queue systems I've tried. I made a Debian (therefore also Ubuntu) package for it which took a whole load of arsing around away.