iPhone programming

Gareth Kirwan gbjk at thermeon.com
Sat May 28 08:31:16 BST 2011

On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 00:12 +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good book on iPhone programming and Objective C?
> Assume that I know *nothing* about Obj C or XCode.

I've found this to be starting from a similar position:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0596806434/ref=asc_df_05968064342994861?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=0596806434

I still hate xcode, but at least I can get it to do what I want.

Two frameworks that work well for different areas of iphone app
programming:
PhoneGap - Bridge between web stuff and objective-c which can control
hardware or interact with the O/S better
Also handles packaging a web app for distribution

Sencha Touch - Web interface toolkit for writing iphone apps. Can be
very scripty; No HTML involved at all really.
It's MVC, too, which is good.
http://www.sencha.com/learn/Tutorial:A_Sencha_Touch_MVC_application_with_PhoneGap

It's also free.