Cool/useful short examples of Perl?

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Mon May 30 22:49:28 BST 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Uri Guttman <uri at stemsystems.com> wrote:
> you need to challenge them a bit with new stuff instead of
> handing them simple code anyone can do.

It depends entirely.
If we're teaching things to people who already know some perl, then
sure you're right.
But I will bet that people who know some perl almost definitely won't
visit learn.perl.org no matter how challenging or interesting you make
it.
The people who will visit it are people who want to *learn* perl when
they don't know (much of it) at all, or people who want a reference.

Keep the clever challenging stuff as examples in the reference.
Keep the really simple stuff on the front page to draw people in who
think perl isn't for them / too difficult / too strange because they
don't understand the complicated challenging things.

I also hope you don't mean that perl should be challenging for
everyone. That is absolutely the worst and most wrong approach ever.
If I ever find a task challenging, there is a very good chance I'm
doing it wrong.
Simple, easy, not complicated or challenging. This is the way good
things are written.