ActiveMQ (was Re: Devel::Cover with Moose?)

Toby Wintermute tjc at wintrmute.net
Tue May 31 03:09:52 BST 2011

On 27 May 2011 02:58, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 05:25:01PM +0100, Simon Wistow wrote:
>
>> Unless things have changed dramatically ActiveMQ has many, many features
>> pretty much all poorly documented in the typical ASF/Java project
>> fashion (i.e a poorly maintained wiki referencing multiple versions of
>> the software implicitly, a collection of hard to navigate JIRA pages and
>> masses of badly written Javadoc with no clear entry point).
>
> You're not talking about ActiveMQ you tease, you're talking about perl!
> And Javascript, and exim, and BIND, and Linux, and ...

Actually, I reckon a lot of Perl modules have quite good documentation
compared to most of the Java modules I've looked into! The Perl
community tends to start out with a SYNOPSIS section that includes a
simple example of how to use the module, and that can be so helpful to
get started.

> Of course, with perl (and Javscript, BIND and Linux), if you want to
> learn how to use the damned thing and how it all fits together, then
> there are some splendid books you can buy and a community of users.
> Maybe you can do the same with ActiveMQ.

I came across this while looking for comparisons of other queues:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Message_Queue_Evaluation_Notes
After reading through it, my take-away message was: All software sucks.

RabbitMQ initially sounded quite good to me, btw, until I saw that
message queue replication was still merely planned for future
versions. Oh :(
But perhaps it's better to have something that has less features but
is reliable, than one that promises the moon, but will crash when I
least expect it? (As people seem to imply with ActiveMQ)

Thanks for all the input so far, guys.
-Toby

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer