ActiveMQ (was Re: Devel::Cover with Moose?)

Toby Wintermute tjc at
Tue May 31 03:09:52 BST 2011

On 27 May 2011 02:58, David Cantrell <david at> wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 05:25:01PM +0100, Simon Wistow wrote:
>> Unless things have changed dramatically ActiveMQ has many, many features
>> pretty much all poorly documented in the typical ASF/Java project
>> fashion (i.e a poorly maintained wiki referencing multiple versions of
>> the software implicitly, a collection of hard to navigate JIRA pages and
>> masses of badly written Javadoc with no clear entry point).
> You're not talking about ActiveMQ you tease, you're talking about perl!
> And Javascript, and exim, and BIND, and Linux, and ...

Actually, I reckon a lot of Perl modules have quite good documentation
compared to most of the Java modules I've looked into! The Perl
community tends to start out with a SYNOPSIS section that includes a
simple example of how to use the module, and that can be so helpful to
get started.

> Of course, with perl (and Javscript, BIND and Linux), if you want to
> learn how to use the damned thing and how it all fits together, then
> there are some splendid books you can buy and a community of users.
> Maybe you can do the same with ActiveMQ.

I came across this while looking for comparisons of other queues:
After reading through it, my take-away message was: All software sucks.

RabbitMQ initially sounded quite good to me, btw, until I saw that
message queue replication was still merely planned for future
versions. Oh :(
But perhaps it's better to have something that has less features but
is reliable, than one that promises the moon, but will crash when I
least expect it? (As people seem to imply with ActiveMQ)

Thanks for all the input so far, guys.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world