Speed v Version

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 09:46:09 BST 2011

I contemplating providing "encouragement" to a customer to upgrade from
5.8.7 to something more modern. One of the overriding issues is "speed".
The customer is fixated with "speed".

Unfortunately one of the major things the customer's clients do is
"replicate" their ISAM data into databases, usually MS-SQL via DBI and
DBD::ODBC. The ISAM data is always on Linux (and a few Unix) boxes. The
replication is a batch process that must complete overnight. Currently
it is a fairly close run thing.

I don't suppose anyone has done any speed benchmarking on the various
perls to date? Still less on newer DBIs etc? All the customer's modules
are circa 2005.

Dirk