Speed v Version

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Jun 1 21:29:12 BST 2011

Dominic Thoreau <dominic at thoreau-online.net> wrote:

>>> This was x86 vs x86_64? As I understand it, even though it can be on the same
>>> chip, the latter CPU architecture has far more general purpose registers,
>>> which permits compilers to generate better code...
>>>

>> Also note on my perfectly 64 bit macbook pro:
>>
>> $ uname -p
>> i386
>
> Physical machines? Pah!
>
> dominic at dominic-virtual-laptop:~$ uname -p
> unknown
>
> Virtualisation FTW!

Pah, x86 filth!  Here many our production (RADIUS/DNS/etc) boxen are...
----
ac56 at domokun:~$ uname -a
Linux domokun 2.6.32-5-kirkwood #1 Wed Jan 12 15:27:07 UTC 2011 armv5tel GNU/Linux
----

Run's Perl just fine that box[1]...

Cheers

[1] OpenRD Ultimate @ ~11W power usage, for those who are curious

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: The speed of anything depends on the flow of everything.