Someone needs to take jwz aside...

Matt Sergeant msergeant at
Tue Jun 7 16:22:07 BST 2011

Simon Cozens wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 21:50, gvim wrote:
>> >  Considering the amount of development you've done on Perl web frameworks over
>> >  the years isn't this tantamount to having given up on Perl, at least for web
>> >  development?
> Yes and no. I've moved from being more of a developer to being more of a user.
> Perl is a fantastic language for developers. It has a great culture for
> developers. We're all brilliant at producing tools which other developers can
> pick up and do really great stuff with. Perl is wonderful if I want to write
> my own web framework, or construct my own CMS on top of one of the hundreds of
> Perl web frameworks which already exist.

As someone else who has written a bunch of popular perl stuff over the
years, I'll chime in here too - I write a lot less open source stuff
these days, but when I do I'm looking much more to JavaScript. The
language is actually about as good as Perl (some areas better, some
worse), but the implementation, the interpreters, are just WAY faster.

For more information please visit