Someone needs to take jwz aside...

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 12:19:15 BST 2011

> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, David Cantrell wrote:
>
> It's the lack of a CPAN-a-like for any other language that keeps me
>> coming back to perl.
>>
>> Of course, it's possible that the Comprehensive Python Archive Network
>> or similar for ruby/javascript/java/C/whatever does exist but I just
>> can't find it.  But then, if I can't find it, it's not much use.
>>

>> Python repo
http://pypi.python.org/pypi

It was fairly chastening a couple of years back looking for a library
implementing Role Based Access Control and finding that there was a Python
one but no Perl one
http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=search&term=role+based+access+control&submit=search
http://search.cpan.org/search?query=role+based+access+control&mode=all

Then when I was doing WxWidgets programming from ActivePerl having to use
the wxPython library docs http://www.wxpython.org/ because they were more up
to date and complete than the Perl ones
http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/documentation.html in terms of calling from a
wrapper (more useful than the C++ docs).

Node.js repo
http://npm.mape.me/
V8 seems to work well on Unix and takes little code to implement an
event-driven networking app using server-side JS.

If you can get over the 'Nam-style flashbacks to old skool javascript hacks
for IE5.0

Regards, Peter
http://perl.dragonstaff.co.uk