RFC: Test::Copyright

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Jun 14 12:22:12 BST 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:25:00PM +0100, Nicholas Bamber wrote:

> Experience in packaging perl modules from CPAN , suggests that most CPAN
> authors are woefully ignorant of copyright and licensing issues.
> Unfortunately I have been provoked into attempting to do something about
> this. I present Test::Copyright. I would appreciate feedback not least
> on the idea.

The concept appears to be flawed, as it appears to care about the
licence field in META.yml, which is known to have been a bad idea.
It's a bad idea because it only supports one value and because that
value has to be one of a small set of licences deemed acceptable.
If you want to use any other licence, you're supposed to lie in META.yml
and say that your licence is "unknown".

It also has the problem that only people who care will use your module
in their tests, and they will be exactly the sort of people who don't
need your module!

    Support terrierism! Adopt a dog today!