Where do we go to get good Perl/Catalyst/DBIC/Moose people in India?

Travis Basevi travis at cricinfo.com
Mon Jul 18 09:50:13 BST 2011

In my 10+ years experience of working with an office in India, I can
only back up what Shantanu says below. It's hard enough getting good
perl programmers in India, let alone ones with such a specific skill set.

The one truly outstanding guy my company has had in all that time (and
who has since upped sticks to those perl hogs booking.com in Amsterdam)
wouldn't have got an interview if we were expecting prior experience in
Catalyst/DBIC/Moose like the original poster appeared to be wanting, but
I'm sure he could've brought himself up to speed within a week or so.

:Travis

On 16/07/2011 10:41, Shantanu Bhadoria wrote:
> In India there is a mass of Perl Devs but many of them are NooBs with 2-4
> years under their belt. Besides the ones who have been working for the
> smaller web dev companies never go beyond CGI and some Mason at most, if you
> want someone with experience on the bigger frameworks you either need to do
> a extensive search on linkedin for the specific skill sets. Try putting this
> up in one of the perl monger mailing lists of the city where you are looking
> for candidates. *bangalore-pm at pm.org *for bangalore, generally thats where
> all the smart people are at(very few, if any NooBs). Make sure the mailing
> list members approve of you posting the job first. :)
> PS: I work for a company in bangalore with lots of smart devs working on
> Catalyst/Moose/DBIx and CGI::Application all of whom we hired in the last
> one and a half year. They were tough to get but not impossible. Although we
> often look for the right attitude and skills, We don't always try to find a
> candidate who have previoously worked on our kinda frameworks. Most smart
> devs pick up such things in a few weeks, and that formula has worked very
> well for us.
>
> Best of Luck!
> -Shantanu Bhadoria
>

>>> Hi
>>> We have been interviewing for a permanent position in India, but we have
>> not been very impressed by the quality of the candidates.
>>>
>>> Can anyone make suggestions for where we can advertise to attract people
>> with these skills?
>>>
>>> Perl
>>> Catalyst
>>> DBIC
>>> Moose
>>>
>>> We don't expect people to have all these skills, but mostly what we have
>> seen are people with some of, basic Perl OO, CGI or DBI at best.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Ian

This email, including attachments may be privileged, confidential and is intended exclusively for the addressee. The views expressed may not be official policy, but the personal views of the originator. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete it from your system.  Emails are not secure and may contain viruses.  No liability can be accepted for viruses that might be transferred by this email or any attachment.