Smoking your own modules: What do you use?

Leo Lapworth leo at cuckoo.org
Mon Jul 18 13:18:02 BST 2011

On 18 July 2011 11:24, Mark Fowler <mark at twoshortplanks.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Leo Lapworth <leo at cuckoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Look at Dist::Zilla - bit of a learning curve and time to tweak to your
>> personal preferences but worth it to stop you (me as well) sucking :)
>
> I've looked at dzil a fair bit, but I haven't totally drunk the cool
> aid yet.  Which particular of the gazillion of features that dzil has
> do you think would save me from my stupidity and could help me in this
> case?

This is a _very_ personal choice, it took me a while to decide I liked dzil..

https://github.com/ranguard/Plack-Middleware-TemplateToolkit/blob/master/dist.ini
is what I'm using at the moment.

The key bits being
- handles the MANIFEST file
- handles Makefile.PL for me (I like AutoPrereqs)
- handles the meta/licence/install files with all the repo stuff
- I only set the version in here and the Changes file (there is a way
to automate that as well)
- 'dzil release' will upload to PAUSE for me after running all the tests.

I also like that I have less files in my repo, but that's a small thing.

I'm sure there's lots I could/should be using instead / as well - but
this is _just_ enough to make the switch worthwhile for me.

Leo