Dear Git Users

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sat Jul 23 14:21:39 BST 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:46:46PM +0200, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:16:42PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > I have a single gigantic repo with all of my perl modules in. It should
> > really be broken up into a seperate repo for each module. I would also
> > like to move them to github. Does anyone have a recipe for this, which
> > won't lose any history? You may assume that I have no branches and
> > everything has always been in 'master'.
> My notes from when I did this are here:
>   http://pjcj.sytes.net/notes/2010/09/25#splitting_a_git_repo

Lovely, thanks.

I get this in each new repo when it tries to reclaim wasted space:

warning: suboptimal pack - out of memory
fatal: Out of memory, malloc failed40)
error: failed to run repack

but everything seems to work anyway.  I presume this is just because
two directories out of the thirty-odd that I had contained some huge
files.  I seem to remember there were problems with the initial import
of those files from CVS into git a couple of years ago too.  Looks like
I'll be wasting about 64MB in each new repo, but hey, disk is cheap
these days :-)

> I seem to recall moving stuff to github being fairly straightforward
> once you worked out what needed to be done.  I'm afraid that I can
> neither remember what I did, nor can I find the instructions on how to
> do it on github itself.

github tells you what they are when you create a new repo.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

Today's previously unreported paraphilia is tomorrow's Internet sensation