mutt

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Sun Jul 24 22:40:20 BST 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 11:23:08PM +0200, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> On 24 July 2011 23:14, Mallory van Achterberg <stommepoes at stommepoes.nl> wrote:
> > So what is this # key for mutt?
>
> Breaks the thread and creates a new one from the message. A
> client-side fix for incorrect References: headers.

A client side fix fixes that client. (Which is useful, don't get me wrong)

But online mail archives preserve the sender's faux pas in perpetuity.

[Although I *also* think that the mail software's authors aren't innocent
here. This happens often enough that the software ought to be able to spot
"you replied to this message, but changed the subject completely and deleted
all quoted text" and then ask "is this actually a new message?", and scrub
the References: and In-Reply-To: if you tell it that it's not a reply.
Software still hateful.]

Nicholas Clark