Gatwick

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Mon Jul 25 14:55:54 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 02:34:27PM +0100, Smylers wrote:
> Hello. How big is Gatwick Airport? More specifically, about how long do
> I need to allow for walking from its railway station to the check-in
> hall ('Terminal S', according to my ticket)?
>
> I don't think I've been to Gatwick before -- it isn't the obvious
> airport for somebody living in Leeds -- but I will be flying to Riga
> from there, so am currently trying to work out appropriate connecting
> trains and wondering whether I need to allow for several miles of
> travelators or anything in my timings.
>
> And any wisdom on likely time between scheduled touchdown on the return
> flight and being back at the station also appreciated, though I
> appreciate that's laughably hard to predict. I'll only have hand
> luggage, so does expecting to be at the platform in an hour sound
> reasonable?
>
> (I won't of course be depending on things being reasonable, and will add
> a margin of error to allow for unreasonableness, but it'd be handy to
> have some idea of the base time.)
>
> Thanks -- and looking forward to seeing many of you in Riga.

I've been through Gatwick several times (arrival, departure, transfer),
although the last time is a few years ago. I can fly in to Gatwick on
the morning for a LPW, and still be the first to arrive at the venue.

Going from the airport to the trainstation, or the other way, is
easy. The trainstation is in the South Terminal, and there's a rail
shuttle between the North and South Terminals.

Abigail