Writing About Perl

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Tue Aug 23 12:23:14 BST 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:57:49AM +0100, Peter Sergeant wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Dave Cross <dave at dave.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > So, purely hypothetically...
> >
> > If a popular Linux magazine had given you the opportunity to write a 3000
> > word article giving a practical project-based demonstration of how Perl had
> > moved on in the last ten years, what would you do? What would you write
> > about?
> >

> Perl's strength is as a glue language - gluing together the wealth available
> on CPAN.
>
> So I'd like to see an article that built a service that did quite a bunch of
> complicated things by gluing together CPAN modules...

I rather write about gluing together "services". Services (like databases,
email, http, etc) the readers are familiar with.

Otherwise, it sounds to much as "here we have a bunch of toys made out
of play-doo; look how awesome this play-doo is, we can use more play-doo
to glue them all together".

Abigail