Expected Config File Locations

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 14:34:29 BST 2011

On Tuesday 30 August 2011 13:55:48 Smylers wrote:
> Hi. I'm looking for some advice on where I should put the config file
> for a command I'm distributing on Cpan. Where would you it to be? I'm
> interested in opinions of Windows, Mac, and Unix users, for both
> per-user and system-wide config.
> <snip>

Config::Find looks like it is designed for exactly what you're looking for -
have you seen that?

I was also going to recommend Config::Auto (which even parses the config,
supporting various formats), but it seems to be Unix-centric, and likely not
useful on Windows.

It wasn't entirely clear to me whether you're looking for suggestions on how
to *find* the config file in a sensible location, or how to install a default
config file into a suitable location as the module is installed, though - have
I got the wrong end of the stick here?

David Precious  ("bigpresh")

   "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
   it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)