Expected Config File Locations

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Wed Aug 31 11:25:37 BST 2011

David Cantrell writes:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 01:55:48PM +0100, Smylers wrote:
>
> > ... advice on where I should put the config file for a command ...
>
> On Mac and other Unix-a-likes, .${command}rc or .$command for per-user
> config, and /etc/$command or /etc/${command}rc for system-wide config.

Hi Dave. Thanks for your reply.

> On Windows, I presume that it should be in the registry, but Microsoft
> may have changed things in the decade since I last had to care.

I was thinking the registry would be right for a program that saves its
own preferences (probably with a graphical interface for the user to set
them), but it doesn't seem appropriate for something users would have to
configure manually.

> There are plenty of Windows machines that have multiple users,

OK.

> > * On some Unices such as FreeBSD I've seen /usr/local/etc/ used for
> >   commands that are installed under /usr/local/. Is that what you'd
> >   expect?
>
> I've come to expect it, but I prefer /etc.

Fair enough.

> >   But I'd be surprised to find /usr/local/etc/ being used on Linux.
>
> I wouldn't.  Something that does that on FreeBSD is pretty likely to
> also do it on Linux, I would have thought.

True. I guess it's more that I have very little software in /usr/local/
on Linux, because most of it comes in packages that install to /usr/.
Whereas on FreeBSD, ports install under /usr/local/ and use
/usr/local/etc/.

Smylers
--
Watch fiendish TV quiz 'Only Connect' (some questions by me)
Mondays at 20:30 on BBC4, or iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect