Perl e-commerce?

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.co.uk
Wed Sep 14 12:26:18 BST 2011

On 14 September 2011 10:37, James Laver <james.laver at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 Sep 2011, at 10:11, Mallory van Achterberg wrote:
>
> > Is there a (decent, maintained) Perl-based e-commerce platform
> > out there?
>
> No.
>
> > I can find plenty of, for example, shops running Magento and I can
> > see (as a user) what all comes with that.
>
> Even themeing magento is a pain in the arse, let alone extending it. I ask
> for danger money to work with it and even still I get fed up of recruiters
> calling offering nearly-danger-money. It's horrible and hateful and I never
> want to work with it again.
>
> > Can someone point me to a site or resource that really compares
> > Perl e-commerce packages to these popular PHP ones? Something
> > that describes all that they come with and what merchants can and
> > cannot do with them, without having to actually install all of these
> > and try setting them up just to see?  Like, a review site.
>
> Don't trust any of them. And then suffer the PHP and buy cubecart or
> similar (the open source ones all have their various major failing, mostly
> around security, which is what i expect most of these 'scripts' will suffer
> from).

I'll echo what James says here.
For a free software cart frontend use a PHP cart like ZenCart and
OSCommerce, the Perl solutions aren't fully featured enough IME. Or pay for
a commercial one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_shopping_cart_software
Another whole fun ballgame is choosing the payment processor for the
checkout backend. The UK government has a comparison website for
pricing/features but these two used to be okay
http://www.2checkout.com/
http://www.authorize.net/
Make sure the cart you want to use has a gateway plugin for the payment
processor you want to use.
I wouldn't use Google Checkout. Paypal is expensive but convenient for some
customers and you made need it as an additional payment option to avoid
losing sales.

Another approach to use a combined commercial solution like
http://www.actinic.co.uk/ .

Regards, Peter