Perl e-commerce?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Sep 15 14:03:14 BST 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 08:14:03PM +0100, Simon Wilcox wrote:
[...]
> I refer the honourable gentleman to Matt's Script Archive. It's easy to
> write crappy code in any language.

Sure, but that's not an interesting assertion. It's more useful to ask how
easy it is to write good good in a given language, and PHP fares quite badly
here.

[...]
> PHP solved the problem of making web-based applications easy to install.
> Something that all the 'big brains' of Perl still haven't solved. Ease of
> installation leads to ease of adoption. Hence why PHP has hammered Perl
> into the ground for web apps.

That's because said 'big brains' don't have an incentive to optimise the
language towards solving that particular problem. Want them to have an
incentive? The Perl Foundation awaits your large donation!