Perl e-commerce?

Richard Foley richard.foley at rfi.net
Thu Sep 15 14:54:38 BST 2011

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Mallory, "where are the Wordpresses,
the Drupals, the Joomlas?..." indeed.  It's easy to sneer at "just some web
thingy", but actually it's quite hard to make something both flexible and
robust and performant and maintainable.  From what I've seen of Catalyst
recently, (and I've been kind of thrust into using it), it's heading in
exactly the right kind of direction that's going to promote (post-)modern Perl
practices into a working business environment.  *IF* we build "what people
want".

You can see the (programming and marketing) success of Perl in more or less
shrink-wrapped applications like RT, where there are books on the topic, and
managers have heard of it, and want it, and will pay people to customize it.
Whether you and I like it or not is irrelevant, the point is RT, (for
example), has a footprint.  There used to be a myriad of Perl web apps.  Where
are they now?  Why haven't they stood the test of time?  Can we claw some of
that market back, now people are finding how there is no silver-bullet in PHP,
Ruby and Java.  Is this a time to take advantage of a pause, is this that
second moment of opportunity?  If so, what will we do with it?

Ciao

Richard
--
Richard Foley