Should I get my mum a Kindle?

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Sep 20 14:02:40 BST 2011

My mother is a technophobe, and furthermore, she's not allowed to have a
computer anyway, because then she'd ask me for help with it.

However, she does like iPlayer.  Specifically, she likes to phone me and
ask me to "acquire" radio programmes for her that she missed.  Until
now, I've done this either by putting them on my iPad so she can listen
to them when I visit, or putting them on a CD.  But now I've run out of
blank CDs.

As I am a geek, I would like to solve the problem by throwing a
ridiculous amount of technology at it.  After all, what's the point of
living in The Future if I can't solve her problem by deploying more
computing power than existed on the entire planet when she was born?

So ... a Kindle.  If I buy her a Kindle with 3G (it has to be 3G, cos
there's no wifi network available) can I "push" audio content to it?  Or
if not, could I configure the web browser on the Kindle to have
something that I control as its default page, and she can download audio
from that?

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

THIS IS THE LANGUAGE POLICE
PUT DOWN YOUR THESAURUS
STEP AWAY FROM THE CLICHE