Perl in shared hosting environments

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 09:22:03 BST 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 09:28, Tomas Doran <bobtfish at bobtfish.net> wrote:

> On 21 Sep 2011, at 07:51, lesleyb wrote:
>>
>> I'm just left wondering how far one could exploit this?  I'm guessing
>> mod_perl
>> would still be out of the question. And probably mod_fcgi.
>
> Taking fastcgi first - fastcgi just runs a perl script, so there is nothing
> stopping the first line of your script being BEGIN { push(@INC....
[snip]
> Nothing in this stops the technique from working in mod-perl per-se

I interpreted the "how far one could exploit this... mod_perl,
mod_fcgi" to mean, "This technique makes it possible to use modules
that aren't installed globally on the shared hosting environment.
Would it be possible to make use of mod_perl even though that's not
installed globally on the shared hosting environment? What about
mod_fcgi?"

And I agree with Lesley in assuming the answer is "no" - I doubt that
you can modify Apache that way to "inject" a module into it from your
section of a shared hosting environment.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>