Should I get my mum a Kindle?

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Sep 21 16:39:24 BST 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 03:24:05PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:

> As another idea that might just pay off: contact the RNIB and ask them what devices they recommend. Your mother might not be visually-impaired, but the requirement for a device that DWISOTT and doesn't have confusing crap on it is much the same.

Actually she is, and I've looked at some of the RNIB's recommended
devices for her - and at the RNID's recommendations for me.  In both
cases, the underlying assumption appears to be that disabled people are
idiots.

Computer Science is about lofty design goals and careful algorithmic
optimisation.  Sysadminning is about cleaning up the resulting mess.