Beware: NET-A-PORTER

Jones, Christopher c.jones at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 9 12:51:28 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Steve Mynott <steve at gruntling.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 10:13:49PM -0500, Rudolf Lippan typed:
>
>> About six weeks ago, I was contacted by a recruiter and asked if I was
>> interested in a team lead position in New Jersey, and so begins my story.
>
> I've no particular reason to defend NAP or doubt your story but publically
> publishing complaints about recruitment doesn't strike me as professional.
>
> Shit happens.  Deal with it.  We have all been messed around.
>
> Save the venting for the pub or IRC.

Why shouldn't we publicly discuss recruitment issues like this? NAP can (and hopefully will) respond to explain themselves - its very rare for any discussion on this forum be one-sided and I doubt this will be one of them.

Regardless of who is to blame for this situation, its good for people like myself (who within a few months will be looking for a job) to know the kinds of issues they might face. Discussions like this wouldn't put me off applying for a job, but might help me to be careful about how I deal with the potential employer in the process.

And anyway if NAP don't like this being made public, they should get their shit together and call the disgruntled parties to explain themselves. Alternatively, they equally have to accept that "Shit happens. Deal with it."

Chris