Beware: NET-A-PORTER

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 14:32:46 GMT 2011

On Dec 9, 2011 8:22 AM, "David Cantrell" <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 01:57:56PM +0100, Richard Foley wrote:
>
> > Seriously, if some of these managers could get their heads around
leveraging
> > the power of telecommuting project teams, they'd not have to worry too
much
> > about the respective costs of having a team in any one country.
>
> This idea that with the right magic pixie dust teleworking can be made
> to work regardless of the company, the colleagues, and the employee is a
> nice idea, but I have seen no evidence whatsoever that it is true.
>
> Teleworking erects barriers to communication both between customer
> (internal or external doesn't matter) and geek, and indeed between you
> and the rest of the people you're working with.  And communication is
> *important*.  WAY more important than most geeks seem to think.

Not entirely true. Telecommuting doesnt erect barriers, it results in
different barriers which need ti be handled differently.

I worked for a distributed company for almost to years. Since then I've
worked from home for almost 18 months. It's not more barriers, it's
different ones.

Eg in the office I sometimes hated having to find people, figure out where
they are, maybe having to deal with them face to face when they're having a
bad day. These things get better with telecommuting ime :)