Beware: NET-A-PORTER

Uri Guttman uri at stemsystems.com
Fri Dec 9 17:29:10 GMT 2011

On 12/09/2011 12:03 PM, Richard Foley wrote:
> I couldn't agree with you more, Uri.  When anyone mentions Telecommuting,
> hackles seem to rise, it's like the religious wars between vi and emacs, perl
> and java, mac + windoze, linux + the rest of the world, etc.  I've worked in
> many places both onsite and offsite, and both situations have pros and cons.
> Telecommuting is absolutely a solution only when it works for *both* the client
> and for the contractor, and communication is clearly essential.  Thank goodness
> we work in a world with such amazing network connectivity, and openssh, eh ?-)

yeah, it would be tricky to telecommute in the days of punch cards! you
can play chess by mail but coding by snail mail?

and as i said, some shops are pure virtual with no physical offices.
telecommuting doesn't raise hackles there and in mixed shops. i deal
with this more than anyone on this list so i know the issues, views and
needs of telecommuting. and even in that world there are many variations
(technologies used, management/mentoring styles, remote meetings, etc.).

uri