Beware: NET-A-PORTER

Adrian Howard adrianh at quietstars.com
Mon Dec 12 15:04:23 GMT 2011

On 12 Dec 2011, at 11:49, Peter Corlett wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 08:46:57PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> [...]
>> Of course, if your people are made of pure Awesomium then you might be OK
>> with taking that performance hit because you're still coming out ahead
>> despite your people being in Narsarsuaq and Tataouine compared to if you'd
>> employed less awesome people happy to work with you in a damp basement in
>> Preston.
>
> And there's another perspective: I'm prepared to offer a 20-40% discount on my usual daily rate if I don't have to waste several hours a day dragging my carcass over to an office in the arse end of nowhere.
>
> Sure, there's a performance hit with telecommuting, but 20-40%?

The "problem" is that it's not an individual's productivity that's dropping - it's the team's as a whole (assuming that it's a team project).

Adrian
--
http://quietstars.com     adrianh at quietstars.com     twitter.com/adrianh
t. +44 (0)7752 419080     skype adrianjohnhoward     del.icio.us/adrianh