Blog Spam (Was: Telecommuting)

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Tue Dec 13 14:10:29 GMT 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 13:50, Smylers <Smylers at stripey.com> wrote:

> Nicholas Clark writes:
>
> > I was also amused by the (current) second comment, which is actually
> > spam:
> >
> >     Thanks for taking the time to discuss about this, I feel strongly
> >     about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, would
> >     you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely
> >     helpful for me.
> >
> > followed by a link to a completely unrelated e-commerce site.
>
> Yeah, blog spammers seem to have a battery of anodyne comments, with
> gushing so vague it could reasonably apply to information on a wide
> range of subjects.

One my blog got hit with (if 300 counts as a hit) was a series of
short comments like that but with exact one misspelling consisting of
a letter transposition. No link associated with it. Quite weird -
wasn't sure what it was trying to achieve, maybe poisoning
bayes/cluster filters with broken (but unusual) words so that they'd
be "learnt" over time as signals for ham.

Paul