Should I work in the US or the UK? - which pays best?

Toby Wintermute tjc at
Wed Dec 14 02:03:13 GMT 2011

On 14 December 2011 12:17, Simon Wistow <simon at> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:07:12PM +1100, Toby Wintermute said:
>> Just wanted to chip in and say -- why are you only considering the US or the UK?
>> If you're looking for a nice English-speaking city which employs
>> Perlmongers, have you considered Melbourne or Sydney in Australia?
> Well, the original reason this thread kicked off, was I think, "Is it
> more expensive to run a dev team in the US than in the UK?"
> My one comment on Oz is ... whilst I don't mind being 5500 miles away
> from my family it's comforting to know I can be on a plane and back in
> about 15 hours if something happens.
> There are far fewer flights back to the UK from Australia and they take
> much longer. I think when I worked it out last time the average time for
> me to get back to the UK if the flag went up, so to speak, was about 48
> hours.

I've never tried looking at that, let's see:

It's currently 1pm in Melbourne - if we said a flag went up right now
then according to, I could hop on a flight at
10:20pm this evening for $1800 and get to Heathrow at 11:35am tomorrow
- 24 hours of travel, or 33 hours since the flag went up.

Or for $4000 there's a flight that'd get me there at quarter past 5 am
tomorrow, 28 hours after the 1pm flag.

Yeah.. not great if you need a faster response time.

> Not that that should stop you - the quality of life in Sydney and
> Melbourne are astonishingly high - but it's a point to mention.

Having lived in both London for a while and Melbourne, I have to say
that Melbourne's quality of life is very nice, and the pay for a good
Perl developer is higher than what I think I'd be getting in London at
the moment. (At least, if I was working somewhere with comparable
working conditions; I dare say there's more to be made in some of the
crazy financial jobs.. but we have those here too if you're that way

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world