Should I work in the US or the UK? - which pays best? (slight diversion)

Kieren Diment diment at
Fri Dec 16 11:09:53 GMT 2011

On 16/12/2011, at 11:23 AM, Toby Wintermute wrote:
>>> is the most active of the Australian perlmonger lists,
>>> and I believe the only one in Australia to manage regular meetings
>>> (almost) every month. Although maybe I'm just biassed because I've
>>> been managing those for the last couple of years :)

I must say that is moderately active, and has been moving back towards monthly meetings recently.  My theory on this is that it's the second La Niña year in a row, so the weather is somewhat cold and rainy, making going surfing, fishing, mountain biking or some other outdoor pursuit a less attractive proposition than a .pm meeting.

On the other hand, I haven't been to any meetings this year.  I mainly use the 1:15 hour train ride as my excuse.  I've been meaning to head up to sydney to catch up with a few things for about 3 months now, but haven't got round to it yet.  I guess I might make it to the February meeting.  (Sydney in January is like Paris in August - it mostly shuts down).