Once a week, every week

David Precious davidp at preshweb.co.uk
Mon Jan 2 20:38:46 GMT 2012

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 10:10:35 +0000
Mark Fowler <mark at twoshortplanks.com> wrote:

> Morning Perl peeps, how's the hangovers?
>
> So as I blogged and tweeted I've got a new new year's resolution: to
> release a distribution to the CPAN once a week, every week.
>
> http://blog.twoshortplanks.com/2011/12/31/once-a-week-every-week/
>
> Now, I'm of the understanding that London Perl Mongers are the kind of
> people that can't resist a challenge. So I ask...are you with me?

Whilst I agree that pushing oneself to release more stuff to CPAN is a
Good Thing, I think committing to release a distribution a week is
likely to encourage "gaming" by just releasing tiny changes to existing
distributions to meet the criteria, without actually adding any real
value.

On the other hand, though, it might encourage one to make & release a
small change that you'd been considering doing at some point but had
never got round to, and any release indicates to potential users that
the distribution in question is still maintained, not abandoned, so it
might not be a bad thing :)

--
David Precious ("bigpresh") <davidp at preshweb.co.uk>
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/     www.preshweb.co.uk/twitter