Emacs as a perl IDE

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 10:04:29 GMT 2012

On 25 January 2012 22:17, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pulled together some links and thoughts, and actually learned stuff:
>
> http://www.davehodgkinson.com/blog/2012/01/using-emacs-as-an-ide/

I had a look at the .emacs I posted on g+ for hints on how I'm using
it.. https://plus.google.com/u/0/102381504977265553584/posts/XYFoqp1oNNv

Main things from that were using tramps for remote files (thus
auto-save is disabled), magit for version control, and the uniqifying
of buffer filename completion/display, the paren highlighting is nice
too.

Like you I've never used it as a IDE, usually because codebases I tend
to work on are often on remote servers and have complex environments
and a simple perl -I path -cw won't cut it, and partly because I like
tools to DoOneThingWell, so I make heavy use of dozens of terminals
for any non-editing tasks

> Any other comments? Piers?
>
> Dave suggested Padre, comments on features and stuff welcome.

Padre is quite nice to work with, but I never got emacs keybindings
working with it so ended up spending more time writing plugins and
code for it, rather than with it (yes, I was writing padre code in
emacs)

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons