Emacs as a perl IDE

Aaron Crane perl at aaroncrane.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 14:06:30 GMT 2012

Steve Mynott <steve at gruntling.com> wrote:
> But I still miss vim's . since C-x-( (or whatever the hell it is) is a PITA

Me too.  But there's this:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/dot-mode.el

It's subtly different from "." in vi, in that vi "." repeats the last
command, whereas Emacs dot-mode repeats the last contiguous sequence
of keystrokes that modified the buffer.  It kind of has to be that
way: in vi, "cwblah<ESC>" is a single command and therefore dottable,
so in Emacs, we want "M-d blah" to be dottable also, even though in
Emacs terms that consists of five separate commands.  But this means
that longer sequences (mixtures of adjacent deletions and changes, for
example) also become dottable.  I sometimes find that helpful.

--
Aaron Crane ** http://aaroncrane.co.uk/