Odd problem with SSL under OSX

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Tue Aug 28 17:59:47 BST 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:29:19AM +0100, Roger Burton West said:
> Trying IPv6 perhaps?

It did actually end up being something around this - what was happening
was that along the line there's a various attempts to use various
different modules which look like or @ISA IO::Socket::INET.

Writing a simple test program and iterating throuhg the different
classes (LWP::Protocol::http::Socket, LWP::Protocol::https::Socket,
IO::Socket::INET, Net::HTTP, Net::HTTPS, Net::SSL, IO::Socket::SSL) it
was only Net:HTTPS and IO::Socket::SSL that failed and that Net::HTTPS
could be made to work if I forced it to use Net:SSL not IO::Socket::SSL.

Digging through IO::Socket::SSL it spends a long time trying to work out
whether it should so IPv6. On a hunch I installed IO::Socket::INET6 and
voila! everything worked again.

A little further digging and it turned out I didn't need
IO::Socket::INET6 at all but just to upgrade IO::Socket::IP to the
latest version.

So - yay, everything works again.

Simon