Who made the law?

Jacqui Caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 31 21:54:16 BST 2012

On 31/08/2012 20:11, Denny wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-08-31 at 19:10 +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
>> This is like saying that women walking home at night should carry
>> placards saying "I'm not a prostitute" just because some dumb bastards
>> might think that because some women who are out on the street at night
>> are hookers they all are.
>
> No it's not.
>
> Mark is talking about an actual existing perception caused by widely
> prevalent behaviour in the larger IT community/industry (don't make me
> post links to the sites that collect endless stories of this stuff, you
> know it happens).  You're talking about a hypothetical perception caused
> by the behaviour of a very small minority.

The reality is that women (and disabled or trans folk) get all sorts of abusive
behaviour day and night. Most just ignore it but some folks stand up and highlight
what is the tip of an iceberg. IT folk in general have a terrible rep and l-pm
will include (at some point) some of these "scum". Its how you deal with them that
defines what sort of organisation you are.

IMHO it appears some here are more interested in looking good than doing good.

I prefer to look good by actually doing good.