Brainbench perl test?

Mr I cub4ucme at
Tue Sep 4 13:26:46 BST 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Roger Burton West <roger at>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 01:03:22PM +0100, Mr I wrote:
> >You're not testing the candidates knowledge of maths you're testing their
> >knowledge of programming.
> If the candidate doesn't ask "what happens when n is less than 2", he
> may be a passable maintenance programmer but he's not someone I'd hire
> to have any sort of responsibility.

Again your assumptions are on knowing about the fibonacci sequence. So a
candidate that does not know the fibonacci sequence but identifies a
possible flaw in the question can only be a maintenance programmer?

> >It's equivalent to asking you to write a function ved(n, m) that
> implements
> >the 16 sutras* and uses them to return the result. A task that maybe
> easily
> >done by many an Indian programmer yet many in this group would struggle
> >with.
> Similarly, I'd expect the candidate to ask for more information.

However under your above reasoning such questions may result in the
candidate only being considered for 'maintenance programming' simply
because the candidate does not know vedic mathematics.

That's foolishness.