Brainbench perl test?

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Tue Sep 4 18:22:47 BST 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Chris Jack <chris_jack at msn.com> wrote:
> I haven't yet had a problem which I felt was worthwhile of a memo-ized solution - but that might just be indicative of the sort of perl work I do.

While memoization is a perfect fit for this solution a) the ability to
spot the need for a cache b) have a stab at implementing it, would be
two things I'd be looking out for.

Just adding,

my %fib_cache;
sub fib {
   my $n = shift;
   return $fib_cache{$n} if defined $fib_cache{$n};
   # …
   $fib_cache{$n} = $answer;
}

would be a good start.

If you're working in the web and haven't added memcached to something,
that would strike me as surprising.

> If you haven't read up on web security issues, SQL injection is not immediately obvious and there are various legitimate reasons for avoiding bind variables.

If you're working in the web and you haven't read up on web security
issues, you need to go do that before applying for any jobs in web. If
you haven't worked in the web, fair enough, ish.

I do agree on pet subjects - I was amazed to be asked a bit fiddling
question in an interview last year (not that I was complaining, having
grown up on 8bit assembly…)

Paul