Home Network Issues

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Sun Sep 9 13:34:07 BST 2012

Hi,

I'm hoping the collective intelligence of london.pm can help me fix a
problem I've been having for a few weeks.

I get my internet connection from Be. I'm happy with them. I use their
supplied "BeBox"[1]. Everything[2] connects to it through wifi. All is
good. Everything can talk to the internet. And everything on the
internal network can talk to everything else on  the internal network.

The wireless network was unprotected. This was bad off me.

A few months ago I started to get email from Be saying that I had to
update the firmware in my BeBox so that it would work with a network
upgrade they were in the process of rolling out. I put this off for
weeks and their emails got more and more desperate.

Finally, a few weeks ago I bit the bullet and upgraded the firmware. It
took a while but eventually I finished and everything seemed to work.

Except, after I while I noticed a problem. All of the devices on the
internal network could still connect to the internet, but they could no
longer connect to each other. In fact, they could no longer even see
each other.

   $ ping 192.168.1.64
   From 192.168.1.67 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
   From 192.168.1.67 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

I've posted a query about this on the Be forum. And I've had a few
suggestions. But nothing has worked.

I'm a bit of a networking idiot. As long as things work, I'm fine. But
when I get problems like this, my knowledge runs out very quickly. So
I'm turning to the fine denizens of this list in the hope that some of
you will have an idea or two.

Has anyone else on Be done the same upgrade? Have you had similar
problems? What did you do to fix them?

Alternatively... Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could fix
this problem?

Thanks all,

Cheers,

Dave...

[1] Actually a rebranded Thomson TG587n v2
[2] Where "everything" is a couple of Linux PCs, a Macbook, a Wii and a
couple of Samsung internet-enabled Bluray players. A printer. Oh and
smartphones.

Dave Cross :: dave at dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/
@davorg