Home Network Issues

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Sun Sep 9 15:30:45 BST 2012

On 09/09/2012 01:34 PM, Dave Cross wrote:
> All of the devices on the internal network could still connect to the
> internet, but they could no longer connect to each other. In fact, they
> could no longer even see each other.

And, as so often happens in these cases, having taken the time to
describe the problem in some depth, I now have a fix from a completely
different source.

The wireless network config screen for the BeBox has an "allow
multicast" checkbox. That was, of course, checked. One of the
suggestions from the Be forum was to uncheck it. That was unintuitive
(surely we don't want to disallow multicast) but I tried it anyway.

The result was, as I suspected, to make things even worse. Now the PCs
couldn't even ping the router (although they could still see the
internet). That made it hard to get to the web-based config screens
until I used a wired connection. I could then re-check the checkbox to
allow multicast again. And that fixed the problem. Now everything can
see everything else.

So it seems that the firmware upgrade left that option in a dodgy state.
And turning it off and on again was needed to unwedge it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Dave...

Dave Cross :: dave at dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/