Home Network Issues

Jacqui Caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 11 16:36:11 BST 2012

On 10/09/2012 09:49, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Hi

The wireless zone is then seperate from the firewall.

If someone hacks through the WAP they then have to work past my firewall
to the other zones/subnetworks or into the firewall box itself.

If the WAP *is* the router and main firewall once they get in it is
more likely they will gain access to the rest of the network - as
most people (I know configure a router's WAP as the "trusted home
network" - and all the thompson routers I have seen don't even have
an admin password configured - anyone on the "home" betwork can
reconfigure the router :-/

It may be old school but I believe in layers - preferably on seperate
hardware and software!

Jacqui "pessemist" Caren