[ANNOUNCE] Survey invitation for research project about FOSS newcomer experience and citizenship

Kevin Carillo Kevin.Carillo at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Oct 4 21:14:45 BST 2012

Hi,

My name is Kevin Carillo and I am a PhD student at the School of Information Management of Victoria University of Wellington (New Zealand).

I am currently running a survey that aims at studying how the experience of a Perl community newcomer has an influence on this person's actions and project contributions in the community.

I have already talked to Kieren Diment (who ran the Perl survey: http://survey.perlfoundation.org) and some of the Perl Foundation board. They have all been keen to help and supportive.

The survey targets contributors to Perl sub-projects endorsed by the Perl Foundation and who joined Perl within the last 2 years. Would you mind letting anyone you think is eligible know about the survey? (I have attached a survey information sheet that you may pass around). Could you also recommend other suitable places I could send the invitation to?

I have written a post about the research project on blogs.perl.org that can be found at:
http://blogs.perl.org/users/kevin_carillo/2012/10/newcomer-experience-and-contributor-behavior-in-perl-and-other-foss-communities---survey.html

This survey is anonymous, and no information is used to identify participants. The Human Ethics Committee of the School of Information Management has approved this research project.

I expect the survey to take around 20 minutes.

Thank you,

Kevin Carillo
School of Information Management
Victoria University of Wellington