Perl syntax highlighting

William Blunn bill+london.pm at blunn.org
Fri Oct 26 08:43:59 BST 2012

Hello London Perl Mongers,

What do people reckon to use when wanting to do Perl syntax highlighting
(Perl ? HTML), such as one might want to use in one's source code
repository browser.

There is an existing repository browser installation at $employer which
does Perl syntax highlighting, but I've found the existing highlighter
to be a bit mediocre in as much as it doesn't handle some rather common
cases. The people who look after the repository browser have been
working on improving the syntax highlighter, and have so far managed to fix:

* a single quote in POD apparently being interpreted as the start of a
string literal

* a single quote in a comment apparently being interpreted as the start
of a string literal

but I am still suffering from

* a single quote in q{...} string apparently being interpreted as the
start of a string literal

So I was wondering if there was a known good Perl syntax highligher. All
suggestions gratefully received; suggestions of the form "FooHighLight
version >= 2.71828" score bonus points.

(Before you ask, I don't (yet) know what syntax highligher is being used
at the minute.)

Regards,

Bill