25 Years of Perl

Chris Benson chrisb at ccandc.org
Mon Nov 19 19:16:26 GMT 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 05:29:29PM +0000, Dave Cross wrote:

> 1/ Technical
>
> What CPAN modules deserve to be mentioned as part of Perl's history?
> Which Perl infrastructure projects are (or were) important? Are
> there any other technical things that need to be covered?

Back before there were modules: the earliest version I used (3.something)
came with *2p utilities that were useful in their own right and enabled
bootstrapping knowledge from find, sed and especially in my case awk:
	http://code.activestate.com/lists/perl-advocacy/1671/
If a2p hadn't existed (and installed right alongside perl) I'm not sure
whether I'd have started using Perl.

I think the early days of comp.lang.perl (before the split) with informed,
entertaining & helpful commentary from some of stalwarts was also key
in the rise of Perl.

Best wishes
--
Chris Benson