25 Years of Perl

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Tue Nov 20 13:37:17 GMT 2012

Quoting "David H. Adler" <dha at panix.com>:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 05:29:29PM +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
>
>> 2/ Community
>>
>> What community initiatives should I cover? Can I mention TPI without
>> giving some people nightmares? How much detail can I cover about
>> Perl Mongers? Which conferences deserve a mention? Does anyone
>> remember how and when YAS became TPF?
>
> If memory serves, YAS didn't "become" TPF. They were separate entities,
> as was Perl Mongers. At a certain point, Kevin decided he didn't want to
> run YAS anymore and brian decided not to run Perl Mongers anymore (they
> both had other stuff that was taking up their time). As a result, they
> were both absorbed into TPF. Wikipedia says PM became part of TPF in
> 2000, but that feels too early to me. You should probably check further
> for a real date. brian might know.

So it turns out that one of the best sources of information about this
is... er... me... writing on Perl Monks in 2001.

   In July 2001, Perl Monks (and Perl Mongers) announced that they were
   merging with Yet Another Society (the people that organise the YAPC
   conferences). In December 2001, YAS announced that they were setting
   up an internal unit called The Perl Foundation to handle all of their
   Perl work (YAS also works with other Open Source technologies). Perl
   Monks and Perl Mongers both became part of The Perl Foundation.

   http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=203263

That davorg chap is awesome :-)

Cheers,

Dave...