25 Years of Perl

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 21:48:27 GMT 2012

On 20/11/12 21:17, Randy J. Ray wrote:
> On 11/20/12 1:10 PM, Dirk Koopman wrote:
>> On 20/11/12 20:42, DAVID HODGKINSON wrote:
>>>
>>> As did PHP. And the rest is history.
>>>

>> Speaking of which, is it just a folk memory that suggests that the first
>> 'P' in PHP once stood for "perl"?
>
> I thought, for the longest time, that "PHP" had originally been an
> acronym for "Perl Hypertext Pages". But people deny that, so I can't be
> sure.

Wikipedia says: "PHP development began in 1994 when the programmer
Rasmus Lerdorf initially created a set of Perl scripts he called
"Personal Home Page Tools" to maintain his personal homepage. The
scripts performed tasks such as displaying his résumé and recording his
web-page traffic.[6][9][10] Lerdorf initially announced the release of
PHP on the comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi Usenet discussion group on
June 8, 1995.[11]".