25 Years of Perl

David H. Adler dha at panix.com
Wed Nov 21 08:50:34 GMT 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:27:09AM +0100, Abigail wrote:

> I started using Perl in 1995, when the main focus on the community was
> on Usenet. At that time, it was just comp.lang.perl; the split into
> multiple groups was either late 1995, or early 1996. I first joined a
> Perl IRC channel in 1997, but I don't know when that channel started.
> But it was this channel that made YAPC happen (well, it was Kevin that
> did the work, but if it wasn't for the IRC channel, there would not have
> been demand, or participants for the first YAPC).

Data points that are bothering me: I first got on IRC sometime in the
vicinity of 12May1996. I know this because the first two IRC channels I
went into were #doctorwhochat and #perl. Which indicates I may have been
in #perl before the first TPC, which makes no sense to me whatsoever. Oh
well.

But IRC was definitely the impetus for YAPC. I believe the most repeated
phrase the first year was "Oh, so *that's* what you look like!".

> I would love to hear your presentation, unfortunally, I couldn't get a
> trip to LPW funded.

I am hoping that davorg will allow it to be videotaped and released into
the wild. I hear he's REALLY COOL, so maybe he'll do that. :-)

dha

--
David H. Adler - <dha at panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised